The artist formerly known as Peace Dividend Trust (yours truly) has a new name! (And, to the disappointment of many of us, it’s not “Russell” or “Cartographers Without Borders.” Which is what I was pulling for.) Why do we have a new name? Because our name sucks.
1) It is hard to spell (our #2 Google search hit is Peace Divided Trust).
2) It gives you no idea what we do.
3) It misleads people into thinking we focus on “peace” not markets and entrepreneurs. And we like “peace,” we do, it’s just not our main currency.
4) Which leads to endless invitations to peace forums. Endless.
5) But the entrepreneur, market, finance types avoid us like the plague.
6) We never set up that trust fund, making the third word an increasingly awkward vestigial appendage.
7) Non-English speakers can never pronounce it.
8) The majority of people outside of political science and economic circles don’t know what a “peace dividend” is.
9) Among those who do, many link it to the end of the Cold War and the movement opposed to the US military industrial complex.
10) The guys behind this site think we are supporting the US military industrial complex and won’t sell us the www.peacedividend.org domain.
11) There is no easy translation of Peace Dividend Trust into French, Creole, Tetum, Pashtun, or Dari.
12) And reducing it to an acronym only drops us into a very crowded alphabet soup.
13) I could go on, trust me.
“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, unless that rose is named Peace Dividend Trust.“
Our new name?
Building Markets. (Which has, funnily enough, been the name of our blog for quite some time.)
Because that’s what we do. Feedback welcome ;) The domain for this tumblr will change later today, but we’re still the same folks doing the same good work to build post-conflict markets and support developing entrepreneurs.
03-29-12: PDT Global is dead. Long live Building Markets!